Mon Site Gratuit : Horloge Virtuelle pour site internet
The Village
Durrenbach, the village
History
The destiny of Durrenbach, 1st refered to as « Grewenbach » in 1106 in a document signed by the German Emperor Henry V, is directly linked to the evolution of the Abbey of Walbourg, built in 1074 by two Benedictine monks called Wiberlus and Manenius. 
 
For centuries, agriculture and craft industry were the only economic activities. Then in 1891 a 150-deep oil layer was discovered, this changed its destiny! Soon after that, some wooden towers actionned by weird machines built by Antoine Racky, appeared in the landscape. That’s how this young engineer improved his invention, a system of quick spudding, which became famous all around the world. 
 
This adventure will continue with the discovery of oil in Pechelbronn, so Durrenbach became a village of workers and farmers whose lives were rythmed, season after season, by the production of oil. Consequently trade florished and the railway opened Durrenbach up. 
 
Unfortunately this Eldorado did not last. The oil fever came down in 1906. 
Derrick in Durrenbach early last centur.
Geographical location of Durrenbach
Durrenbach is located around 10 km North of Haguenau along the Sauer Valley, 170 m above the sea level. Its bank goes along the D 27 from Hegeney across Morsbronn till the crossroads with the D 250 to Gunstett. It spreads on a total acreage of 1307 acres ( 529 hectars) : 496 acres (201 hectars) of cultivated land, 563 acres ( 228 hectars) of meadows and 237 acres ( 96 hectars) of orchards, gardens and built land. 
 
There are no woods except a few poplar, alder and willow plantations in wet areas. 
Visit the Village. You are in front of the Holiday Room